Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Other Woman!!! Who is SHE?!?!?

It was a regular winter night, it was cold but not so cold that a girl wouldn’t be able to pull out her freak em’ dress and get her party on. A couple whom I have known for years are at the bar that I bartend at and they invite me and another friend of ours out to hang as it is there weekly date night. I am tired. But I decide to throw all caution to the wind and hit the scene with them anyway, so NYC here we come. So here I am hanging with the married couple and their buddy whom is also married but opted to leave his wife home. We will call the wifeless married guy, Paul. I have only met Paul’s wife once in passing and honestly can not recall what she looked like, but I do know this man to be a family man, with 2.5 kids, the Dog and the white picket fence, I am talking the Huxtables all the way and I truly believe he loves his family. Me and Paul are cool and have known each other for years and I know what you are thinking, but trust I am NOT the other woman.

So once we get to the club I am hanging with my married friends drinking my wine feeling like the odd one out but not really because Paul is there and we are engaging in platonic conversation.  In the midst of the conversation Paul states that he has a friend meeting him where we are, I give him the side eye and he chuckles a bit and we continue to converse. I ask if she knows he is married and he kindly advises that he takes his ring off for no one. Paul then states he will be right back and in my head I am thinking, I wonder what scally wag he is going to bring up in here tonight.

So I began talking to my girlfriend and she goes into the whole “I wish my husband would” conversation. She is a fire cracker, so I believed her when she stated she will “KNOCK HIS HEAD CLEAN OFF!” So as we wait for this “hoodrat/ scandalous home wrecker” to arrive, we continue to talk. She arrives, and my mouth almost hit the floor. I check her out, she is dress to the nines, petite frame, nice shape and curves all where mine used to be pre pregnancy. I check out her shoes, because any girl can get dressed for one night but the shoes tell it all. Well Miss Home Wrecker had on Christians Louboutins, I know those red soles anywhere. In my head I am thinking “well she must be a Gold Digger then.” My girlfriend refuses to engage in conversation with this young lady, but because I am the curios person that I am we began to engage in conversation. As we talk I find out that she is an entertainment attorney and from the looks of the shoes and handbag, she is doing pretty WELL, very well versed and if we hadn’t met under these exact circumstance I could see us going out for drinks and hitting the club scene together. Now ‘Slap me around and Call me Susie’ because now I am having a Real live  AHA moment as Oprah Winfrey would say.

Is this the “other” woman? Is this what she looks like and how she carries herself? I assumed she would be a mess, not have her stuff together, a Hoodrat, a Scally Wag, cheap Bag , cheap shoes, a cheap weave and a $10 outfit, something that no one could ever take home to their mother and here is this Fly Ass EDUCATED Chick , whom is obviously in a Relationship with this VERY Married man and she has no qualms about it. OH EMMM GHEEEE, this is the other woman!

As women of color, we often assume that we are the cream of the crop if we are educated, have our home life in order and bring home a decent paycheck every week. If we are in a relationship, we assume that if our mate steps out on us, it has to be with someone whom is socially and economically beneath us. Who else would deal with someone else’s husband?  As women of color we have to realize our dating pool is quite slim, especially if we have standards and because of this a lot of women can and will deal with some one else’s husband and often it is not just for an evening, a lot of times these are long term courtships. I once heard one mistress describe it as “all of the PERKS with Minimal WORK because Men court their mistresses and Love their wives.”

So as women what can we do? A part of me wanted to say nothing can be done because I believe the next woman doesn’t owe you anything especially if the man isn’t married. But because men often say they cheat for a reason I will give women some advice which address the most common reasons married men say they cheat.  

  1. Other Women make it Easy!!!! So as women we must Hold ourselves to a higher moral scrutiny, if a man is in any phase of the Marriage Plan he is off limits. Engaged, Married, or Separated.  All are OFF LIMITIS!!!! Now the boyfriend/girlfriend thing, NOT SOOO MUCH, a lot of women believe he is fair GAME and if he wanted to Marry his main chick he would have already asked or they would be married currently.
  2. She thinks she is the best I am ever going to get. So as women we have to stop being so critical of the Other Woman, don’t assume that “the other woman” is beneath you and you are better, because the biggest mistake a person can ever make against any adversary is underestimating their opponent. The same things you see in him she will see in him and the same way he got you, he can get someone else.
  3. She doesn’t Respect me. Stop emasculating Our MEN, allow them to be the men of our Households and we need to understand what it means to be someone’s wife. Often time because we as women make more money and have seen our mothers make it through the day to day struggles as single parents, we were never taught how to allow a man to be a MAN. Trust the other Woman is allowing him to be “A MAN” and often that is exactly what he is seeking.
  4. She won’t Give Me Sex Stop using Sex as a bartering Tool, it is not a means for negotiations or getting your way. If you love this man the way you say you do unless he is already cheating, just give him some. Because if you don’t, The other most certainly, WILL.  
  5. She won’t Shut UP. We have to learn how to communicate without nagging.  Often times communication is lost in relationships and a lot of men feel like they can not talk to their mates without “Getting Into IT” so they lie. Little Lies become even bigger lies. Allow him to go out with the boys without giving him the 3rd degree. Let him have his “Me Time” if that is what he needs and allow him to do this without recourse as long as he does it in a respectful manner. If you are his best friend at home and he can talk to you about anything, he won’t need to seek comfort and a listening ear from some one else. Trust the Other Woman will LISTEN.

Now in no way am I condoning cheating or am I saying a cheating man is a woman’s fault, quite the contrary I think cheating is wrong. The tips above can work in any relationship whether the person is cheating or not. These however are the excuses that men give for cheating and I wanted to address them. I believe anyone who makes a commitment in any shape, form, or fashion needs to hold true to that commitment. As women however, we have to realize if we have an All out Dog on our hands or do we have a man whom is simply seeking comfort else where? If we have a good man, and he cheats there is a strong possibility that his “side chick” is a lot like you. She is educated, well versed and probably has all her ducks in a row. Instead of bashing her, comparing her to yourself, wondering what she looks like and blaming her for what YOUR Mate is doing. Lets Put Blame where Blame is due, because in all reality she owes you absolutely nothing. The same thing you saw in that man, she saw in that man, and you and she probably have more in common than you think. She just is not allowing the fact that he is involved stand in her way. Right or Wrong, that is up for debate but here is something that is not. Your Mate is the Real Enemy as he is the one who made a commitment to you and he is the one who stepped out on his commitment. Ladies this is where your focus needs to be. Let Stop asking ourselves about the other woman and wondering “Who is SHE?”

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl I think you are right on point with everything that you wrote. I'm also glad that you shared this with us. I will keep all of this in mind for when "the one" comes my way. You should be a professional blogger and get paid for this girl. I'm sure a lot of women would love to read this. As far as that guy "Paul," girl I had no clue you were gonna say that the girl had it going on like she does. And she doesnt care that he is married. WOW. I'm speechless. I say if you with a man and he hasnt cheated give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves you wrong. MrsSuicide killed it with this blog! Go Girl!

Unknown said...

I'm shakin n my boots......

That is some scary but true wisdom. At the end of the day, some men are only as honest as the next option. I'm just going to stay true to myself. I have 0 tolerances for a cheating man.

There will be no retaliation on my part once his cheating ways are exposed. I’m going to just pray that she cheats on his A$$ with a NFL Player…….

Anonymous said...

Girl you got this one down to a T! Love love love it. No matter what kinds of precautions are out there, some men will always be on the prowl to cheat. Some of them have no morality are respect when it comes to marriage. I think that even if they are in a commited relationship that cheating is wrong as well. But hey like you said girlie, as long as women make it easy and men have all these complaint excuses, cheating will always be second nature.

MrsSuicide said...

Gizele I am happy u enjoyed this Blog and can see the truth in it. I think in life we must always realize that everyone has options and the exploration of those options is never truly about the other party involved it is about the person whom decided to breach the trust of the relationship.

MrsSuicide said...

Cultivating Patience, I am lol at the NFL Player. Angel IDK if women make it neccesarily easy, being a cheater sometimes takes more work than being married. The stuff a women will let her own man get away with would be unacceptable if you are playing second fiddle to someone else, atleast that is how it works when a woman is messing with a married man and on her GAME!!

Unknown said...

Girl You are sooo right! Often many women think the other woman, is scum, or just plain busted! Speaking from experience, I was once the other woman, and I damn sho aint busted..lol, I have since then smartened up, but generally men are looking for some sort of relief from home. You made very good points in relation to that. Sometimes when women are married and or in relationships, they stop getting pretty, or gain a couple of lbs., or dont sex them like they used to...I'm a firm believer in whatever you did to get him, thats what u have to do to keep him!

MrsSuicide said...

Jauhara, I appreciate your honesty and I too was the other woman once upon a time in a kingdom far far away, lol!! But on a serious note, I feel like we as women always want to blame the other woman, when that other woman don't owe u a damn thing!!! We want to knock her and kick her back in, is she not a friend or a relative, we gotta charge it to the game. I do not condone cheating but hate when women be mad at the other chick talking about she made it easy, no boo boo, u made it easy by turning a blind eye and pretending like it wasn't happening or allowing your man to stay out all night. There isn't a woman alive who can say they had no CLUE that there man was cheating, womans intuition is a BEAST and it always kicks in!!

Unknown said...

Damn this story is serious and so true when u think of the other chick u think of her as a Hoodbooger that will take n stand For anything the man dish out..my personal opinion varys on this one my number 1 rule is no married men to me boyfriends are different but I will say I wouldn't want it done to me either one speaking that has a extra long term boyfriend..but great story Aliyah

Unknown said...

Ok while we are all worried and commenting on the wife, the first thing that came to my mind was the mind state of the side chick. where are her morals and values and most of all her SELF ESTEEM.. A woman who settles for another woman's man obviously have some underlying issues within themselves that must be questioned. Just because this woman is successful (educationally and finacially) onviously does not mean she has it together or she would not stoop to the level of being the "other woman" or going after someone elses man. Its true that money can not buy you happiness. and it it obvious here that something is lacking in her or she would demand, require and seek more respect for herself as a woman NOT to be the other woman.. Thats just my thoughts!

MrsSuicide said...

Juanita, I personally do not think that the side chick necessarily has to have low self esteem or even self esteem issues. Is it morally reprehensible maybe, but LOW Self Esteem, hmm I would beg to differ. "all of the perks with Minimal work!" Some women just don't want the headache that may come with being in a serious relationship, the questions, the headaches etc. She never has to worry about where this man is when he isn't with her becasue that is his wife or girlfriends headache not hers and she may not even be looking for this man to leave his wife or main chick. Selfish yes, low self esteem, not necessarily. In the words of my girl Evelyn from B Ball Wives, the wife or main chick may be "A non motherfuckin factor!" in the side chicks eyes.